Wednesday, March 24, 2010

$5 Challenge - Matchstick Candle and Coasters

Just call me Miss Piggy. This is my third and final project for Lindsay's Five Dollar Challenge. She did say we could do as many as we wanted, right? Maybe I got a little carried away...



During my Dollar Tree shopping extravaganza, I picked up a colorful matchstick placemat, a pillar candle, a glass cylinder vase and some foam gripper pads. I only spent $4 for the $5 challenge, so I'm not sure if that's grounds for disqualification.
Sorry, I lit the candle before I took the picture. Gotta remember I'm new at this! What to do, what to do?

First, I rolled the glass vase in the placemat to measure where to cut.

Then I cut the placemat to fit around the vase. I cut the length as well as the length because I didn't want the placemat to be taller than the vase.

I rolled the vase in the placemat and hot glued the ends in place.

Here's the finished product with the lit candle. Purdy, huh? I think this would look great on a patio or porch!

I decided to make coasters with the leftover placemat. I cut the scrap pieces to size.

I hot glued the threads to keep the sticks in place.

In order to give the coasters some support, I hot glued the gripper pads to the back. Without the pads, the matchstick pieces were flimsy and slippery.

Finally, I trimmed the gripper pads to fit. Ok, they're not so pretty from this side, but who's going to be looking here anyway?

Four coasters and a candle holder for $4. And they only took about 10 minutes to make! I definitely think I'll be using these on my porch this spring and summer!

I know this post was long, but if you made it to the end, thanks for sticking with me!  (No pun intended.) Merci, Lindsay for hosting this fun challenge!

22 comments:

  1. Great idea!! I thought the twine candle was cool but these are amazing {could totally see these used in an outdoor living space as well}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen that placemat all over blog land and am jealous our dollar stores didn't carry it! I love the festive colors! Perfect for a patio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this! :o) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! That placemat is fantastic... I didn't see anything like that in our store. Great job!

    ~Jennifer
    www.studiojru.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I think I will make some up for our picnic table this summer! :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this one! This would be perfect on a little outdoor table at night with drinks. So cute and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This project is too cute! The colors are perfect for the outdoors :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG that project would look great on a porch!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! There are going to be a lot of copy cats with this project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great project. Very creative and very cute. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all of your comments! I hope you do copy me! What a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your use of the placemat, Erin!! The coasters are a stroke of genius. Might have to make some with my leftover bits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute, you're so creative. I'm going to make these for my patio this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are just one good idea after another!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this one too! I gotta follow you! You are so creative:()

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like I said, I got a little carried away! I'm a new blogger so I'm a little overenthusiastic and overachieving. I'm sure the newness will wear off and I'll calm down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like this! A great look for outdoors...or in. Way to go! I used these glass cynlinders in my challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How great will this look at night!! thanks for the idea!
    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are very cute! I like the candle a lot!
    gail

    ReplyDelete