Wednesday, March 24, 2010

$5 Challenge - Spring Topiaries

If you've read my blog before (chances are you haven't), you know that I'm new to this. I didn't start reading home decor blogs until late last year (I know...I know...been missing out)! When I did discover them, however, Living With Lindsay quickly became one of my favorites. I later found out that Lindsay is friends with my best friend in TX! What a small world! She encouraged me to start a blog, so I did. And of course I had to participate in her Five Dollar Challenge!





At first, I was overwhelmed with the task of creating something with only $5 of supplies from the dollar store. But when I looked around Dollar Tree, I got all kinds of ideas. Once I started, I couldn't stop! (I hope I'm not being a challenge hog!)

These spring topiaries are first in a series of three crafts.

I bought a package of floral foam blocks, floral moss, mini terra cotta pots and two yellow/white bead ball thingies from Dollar Tree. I rooted through the woods behind our house to find two sticks of similar size. Don't tell him, but I "borrowed" some of my oldest son's paint and paint brush.


                            
First, I lightly brushed some white paint onto the pots. I rubbed them with a paper towel before they were dry to give them an aged look.



Next, I cut blocks of foam down to fit inside the pots.



I made sure the foam was tight so the topiaries wouldn't wobble.



I snipped the ribbon off of the balls. Exactly what these balls are intended for, I'm not sure, but they make really cute topiary toppers!

I shoved the free backyard sticks into the balls and then hot glued the sticks into the foam.

I wanted to make sure the topiaries wouldn't fall out!

To finish, I covered the foam with moss and hot glued the scrap ribbon to the pots. Voila! Two spring topiaries for $5! I think these would be super cute on a spring dining table as decorations or place card holders.

Thanks for stopping by. Also, many thanks to Lindsay for hosting the Five Dollar Challenge!

23 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the look of the 'beaded' tops. Just darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw those little yellow things at the dollar tree and wondered how i could use them... i couldn't come up with anything! love what you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have to say that I like the "beaded" look, too! Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! It seems as if topiaries are the way to go...I made one too!


    Blessings, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! How fun would these be flanking a little bowl of lemons in the middle? Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a bunch of those yellow balls not sure what to do with them. Great idea. Definently going to remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! I saw those pots at my dollar store before I knew about the $5 challenge, later when I went back to get them they were gone :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are ca-ute!! Nice find on the balls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! A couple more would make awesome place card holders! I love that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So darling - I was eying those pots - but didn't see anything else inspiring to go with them :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comments! I do think I'll make four more to use as placecard holders. Providing Dollar Tree still has the balls and pots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great project! You are a clever and crafty girl. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so bright and springy, they make me smile just looking at them! Love your craft!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great job, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, CUTE! Love them! Very springy without the pastel-Easter look.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these! Yellow is such a fun color:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Erin! I love what you did with your challenge. Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really a great idea and one that I will have to use! Really cute. Judi

    ReplyDelete
  19. so cute! love the yellow..so sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I love it. So creative and fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great project! I showcased you in my blog.

    ReplyDelete